Summer in Berlin Program
This six-week, six-credit, faculty-led intensive program is an opportunity to spend part of the summer in Berlin, Germany’s capital and cultural center. You will learn about Germany’s history as well as Germany today. Content courses taught in English in ECON, POLS, HIST, Fine Arts and Literature. No knowledge of German necessary. Full range of German language courses available. Academic excursions and on-sight classes enrich the learning experience and introduce you to this amazing city and country.
NOTE: Course offerings are still tentative. Enrollment is limited and as part of the application process students will fill out a course preference questionnaire. We will try to place students in the 1st and 2nd preference, however, it is not guaranteed.
- German Language Courses (all levels; fulfills language requirement)
- GE 34141 Berlin Since the War: A Cultural History (fulfills history requirement; political science and German credit; taught in English)
- GE 34142 Economics of a Green Germany (economics, political science, German, sustainability minor, energy studies minor credit; taught in English)
- GE 34143 Berlin Theater (fulfills fine arts and literature requirement; German & FTT credit; taught in English with German LAC section)
- GE 34144 Architecture and Design of the Berlin Landscape (fulfills fine arts requirement; German credit; taught in English)
Program Dates: May 20, 2022 – July 2, 2022.
Participants must attend the full program. No late or early arrivals.
Students arrive in Berlin on May 20, 2022 (no later than early afternoon); students departing from the US would do so on May 19, 2022.
Sample Excursions from previous years (2022 has not yet been determined):
All Notre Dame first-year students, sophomores, juniors and graduating seniors in good academic standing. Visiting students also eligible.
Housing and Meals
Students will live in apartments in Berlin with shared bath, living, and kitchen. We are located near underground and suburban rail stations within minutes of shopping, restaurants, and cultural institutions. The program fee does not include meals or personal spending.
Program Fee: $8800.00
- 6 Notre Dame credits
- Mass transit within Berlin
- All program academic outings and field trips
- Transport to and from airport
- On-site program support from Notre Dame faculty
- GeoBlue international health and emergency evacuation insurance (through NDI)
All applicants automatically considered for grant funding up to $3,000.
Program Fee does not include
- Airfare (approx. $1,200) • Meals (approx. $1,000)
- Passport/visa fees
- Personal spending money
For questions about study abroad programs, please contact Denise M. Della Rossa, the Director of Undergraduate Studies.