Notre Dame Berlin Summer Program
This six-week, six-credit, faculty-led intensive program is an opportunity to spend part of the summer in Berlin, Germany’s capital and cultural center. You will learn about Germany’s history as well as Germany today. Content courses taught in English or in German in ECON, POLS, HIST, Fine Arts and Literature. No prior knowledge of German necessary. Full range of German language courses available. Academic excursions and on-sight classes enrich the learning experience and introduce you to this amazing city.
This program will be led by William Donahue, John J. Cavanaugh, CSC, Professor of the Humanities and Chair, Department of German and Russian Languages and Literatures, Steffen Kaupp, Assistant Teaching Professor of German and Resident Director Summer Berlin Programs, and Denise M. Della Rossa, Teaching Professor of German and Director of Undergraduate Studies.
NOTE: Students are not guaranteed courses. Courses subject to student limit. Enrollment is limited and as part of the application process you will fill out a course preference questionnaire. We will try to place students in the 1st and 2nd preference, however, it is not guaranteed.
- German Language Courses (all levels; fulfills language requirement)
- GE 34141 Berlin Since the War: A Cultural History (fulfills history requirement; political science and German credit; taught in English)
- GE 34142 Economics of a Green Germany (economics, political science, German, sustainability minor, energy studies minor credit; taught in English)
- GE 34143 Berlin Theater (fulfills fine arts and literature requirement; German & FTT credit; taught in English with German LAC section)
- GE 34144 Architecture and Design (fulfills fine arts requirement; German credit; taught in English)
Program Dates: May 24th, 2019 – July 6th, 2019
Program Calendar (Tentative)
May 24, 2019: Student Arrival in Berlin (Must leave U.S. no later than May 23)
May 25-26, 2019: Orientation Weekend
May 27, 2019: First day of classes
June 7, 2019: Day Trip to Potsdam
June 12-16, 2019: Excursion to Vienna
June 28– June 30, 2019: Excursion to Weimar
July 5, 2019: Last Day of Classes; Farewell Celebration
July 6, 2019: End of Program; Student Departure
All Notre Dame freshmen, sophomores, juniors and graduating seniors in good academic standing and in compliance with community standards. Visiting students also eligible.
Housing and Meals
Students will live in modern apartments in the center of Berlin with shared bath, living, and kitchen. We are ideally located near underground and suburban rail stations within minutes of shopping, restaurants, and cultural institutions. The program fee does not include meals or personal spending.
TBD( The 20188 fee was: $8,600.00)
- 6 Notre Dame credits
- All program academic outings and field trips
- Transport to and from airport
- On-site program support from Notre Dame faculty
- GeoBlue international health and emergency evacuation insurance
Program Fee does not include
- Airfare (approx. $1,200) • Meals (approx. $1,000)
- Passport/visa fees
- Personal spending money
- ONE FACULTY academic recommendation required
- RECTOR recommendation required
QUESTIONS - please email:
Denise Della Rossa